That’s right folk, this lens is a piece of collection :)
I bought this second hand lens in a small shop in Paris. I was searching a repairer for my broken Canon 50 mm mk2 purchased in Ho Chi Minh City, when I found the lens in excellent state of conservation : it works like a charm.
On any APS-C sized sensor, a 50mm lens has the same field of view as an 80mm lens would on a full frame camera. That’s why the 50 mm is a good focal length for full-body portraits on my APS-C format camera. Moreover, its large aperture provides beautiful bokeh to emphasize the subject.
As you all probably already know, there are two versions of the Canon EF 50mm f /1.8 lens : the mk1 and the mk2. The mk1 is the early version. It was introduced in March 1987 and discontinued in 1990. The mk2, the current version, was introduced in December 1990. Both mk1 and mk2 versions have the same high optical quality : they produce very sharp photos with very good colors and no distortion especially at f/2.8 and beyond. But the older mk1 is better constructed : compaired to the mk2 which is made up of plastic, it has a metal mount, and due to this fact, is more durable.
Other advantages of the mk1 : unlike the mk2, it has a handy distance scale and a dedicated focus ring (the mk2 focus ring is the worst you can get : it’s too tiny !!).
Conclusion : I think that I am very blessed.
In the picture : the mk2 (left) and the mk1 (right)

The two pictures below were taken from the same location using the mk1 (f/2.8, 100 iso)(originals only resized):

No comments:
Post a Comment